The snow has melted, the birds are chirping, buds are popping out of the barren brown branches, and moving season is upon us. Spring is here!
Cleaning your home before you move is essential. With the nice weather approaching the last thing you will want is to be cooped up inside sorting through winter clutter and scrubbing floors. Make your move more enjoyable by spring cleaning before your big move.
Here are some tips that will help make spring cleaning before your move a breeze.
Start off small
- Focus on small clutter-prone areas such as cabinets, drawers, and closets and get rid of all the items that you no longer use. The less stuff you have to bring the easier the move will be. You can set aside extra boxes for items you later want to donate or sell.
Then go big
- Once small spaces are organized, do the same in larger clutter-prone areas such as the attic or garage, and get rid of unused or items or things you no longer need.
Use durable boxes for fragile items
- Make sure that fragile items you are packing away are in high-quality boxes that won’t break. Dish-pack boxes with adjustable inserts that form individual cells are the best precaution to make sure that your fragile items are protected. Avoid using previously used boxes as they are more prone to breaking.
Disinfect your surroundings
- Hiding from the cold all winter means that germs and bacteria have been in full swing in your home. Make your space clean as a whistle by changing air filters, rotating mattresses, scrubbing floors, and disinfecting appliances.
Be careful with hazardous materials
- Hazardous materials such as paint, cleaning products, batteries, fertilizers, and engine oil, cannot be thrown away with the rest of your unwanted belongings. It is also illegal for a moving company to transport these hazardous materials. Keep yourself and your family safe by properly disposing of them in specialized hazardous waste facilities.
- Find local recycling options that you could use to dispose of your recyclable waste. This can also be a way to get rid of unwanted recyclable items that you don’t want to move with you such as books, magazines, old newspapers, etc.
Have any tips that we missed? Let us know your spring cleaning tips in the comments!