The mantra that a clean apartment equals a clean mind is often true. Once you’ve moved into a new place, one of the first things that you’ll need to do is inspect the rooms and to make sure that they’re clean. This takes time, but is generally worth it, as it results in a clearer focus and peace of mind.
It’s important to be as vigilant about cleaning your apartment as you can. Cleaning a little bit every day, or simply tidying up, can help to decrease germs or allergens in the home. Developing cleaning as a habit, rather than just as a chore can help change your mindset and will reduce the overall amount of time spent cleaning up.
Here is a list of recommendations that we’ve developed for you, that will help your apartment stay clean.
Once a day:
- Clean countertops and appliance handles with disinfecting spray/wipes or simply dish soap and water.
- Remove any clutter and put it in the proper location
- Clean all used dishes and wipe up any spills that have occurred
- Sweep floors
- Make your bed
- Hang up all wet towels or hand towels and allow to air dry completely
Once a week:
- Wash and fold laundry
- Wash all hardwood and tile floors
- Vacuum carpet and clean underneath cabinets
- Wipe down areas of your washroom like toilets, showers, and sinks with proper disinfectant
- Clean mirrors with glass cleaner
- Wash all pillow cases
Once a month:
- Empty the refrigerator, wipe down shelving, and throw out any expired items
- Dust the baseboards, fan blades, and air vents
- Clean the inside of microwave and oven
- Hose down and disinfect the bottom of trash cans and underneath the trash cans
- Dust underneath all furniture
Once a season:
- Wipe down blinds and wash curtains
- Wash windows and window screens
- Clean out bedroom, shoe, and coat closets and throw away or donate items you no longer want
- Wash or dry clean duvet covers, throw blankets, comforters, and throw pillow
If you follow these steps regularly, you’ll be on top of cleaning your apartment and will have great peace of mind within your new home.