Moving can be stressful for all of us, but it can be especially stressful for children. This type of huge change can be overwhelming for kids, but there are ways to make it easier for them.
Here are 10 Moving Tips to help make moving easier on your kids
- It’s important to tell your kids about your plans to move as soon as possible. The more time they have to prepare, the easier it will be for them.
- Child psychologists recommend that children should participate in the decision-making. If kids feel included and take ownership of their new home decision, the transition will go much easier.
- Moving is a family process so share the excitement and responsibilities with every member of the family. Give everyone an age-appropriate responsibility. For example, kids enjoy decorating our moving boxes. When you get to your new home, this cam also make it easier for them to find their stuff.
- Involve your kids in the packing process and start packing items you will not need ahead of time.
- Sentimental treasures like that beloved stuffed toy should be kept in a separate bag or box which they can keep close until moving day, and then bring with them to your new home.
- Throughout the move, stay as upbeat and calm as possible. Give your kids opportunities to express their feelings and try to be honest about your own feelings.
- Take a tour of your new neighbourhood with the whole family. If it’s not far, why not ride your bikes and scope out the parks and even your favourite fast food restaurants.
- Give your kids an inexpensive digital camera to take as many pictures as they want of their friends prior to the move.
- Child psychologists agree that if kids know they can stay in touch with friends and loved ones, it will make the move less traumatic.
- Prepare cards with your child’s name and new address to give to friends. If you are moving within the same city, try to schedule a few play dates for after your move day.
With a lot of preparation, and a lot of patience, your move can be fun for you and your children.