Packing up your household can be overwhelming, but here at TWO MEN AND A TRUCK Canada we’ve got years of experience to help guide you through your moving process.
- Start packing several weeks ahead of your move out / move in date. Avoid the overwhelming nature of leaving things to the last minute.
- Make sure the moving boxes you choose are sturdy. You don’t want them to collapse under the strain.
- Instead of newsprint, which tends to stain, use all-white packing paper. This paper is also sturdy and will protect your items while keeping them clean.
- Packing dishes on their edges rather than flat can help to prevent them from breaking. Professional movers usually sell dish-pack boxes that are sized to stack neatly.
- Make sure you don’t over pack. Remember this rule of thumb: the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
- Wrap small items in colour tissue paper before surrounding them with packing paper so that you don’t accidentally throw them out when unpacking. Remember that as carefully as you pack, items can shift during transit.
- Let children pack their own toys and games. They’ll feel useful in the move and will be reassured their items are coming with them.
- Take legal documents, medical records, expensive jewelry and any other important papers and possessions with you.
- Remember, a professional moving company cannot transport hazardous materials such as flammables.
- Label boxes to make it easier for your movers to place them in the right spot in your new home.
- Pack a box essentials you’ll need as soon as you move in. Be sure to label it accordingly.
Follow these few tips and your packing process will go off without a hitch.