Moving is a stressful experience and there are a million things to think about when moving from one house to another.
One of your million thoughts might be selecting a moving company you can trust with your valuable possessions. At TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®, we can understand that moving isn’t easy and we are here to help you ease your stress!
We have compiled thirteen questions to ask when shopping around for a mover. Before selecting a moving company, ensure to check with your province’s moving and storage association to learn local regulations that apply to movers in your area.
- Is your moving company properly insured? Only use moving companies with proper insurance including WBC or WSIB
- Do you carry Workers’ Compensation for your employees? Reputable companies will carry Workers’ Compensation giving you peace of mind as a customer
- Are items insured during the move? Even if a mover is bonded and insured, it doesn’t mean your items are covered during the move. Some provinces require a company put a valuation of 60¢ per pound of coverage.
- What kind of training have your movers and drivers completed? Reputable companies should be able to tell you what training their employees have gone through to prepare them for the job. Be wary of temporary or day labourers, who have most likely not gone through proper training.
- Are your employees bonded? Reputable companies will always use bonded employees.
- Are your movers employees or do you use temps and day labour? Be cautious of companies that use temps or day labour because they may not be properly insured or trained.
Payments & Charges:
- How does your company charge for a move? For example, by the hour? Most reputable companies charge by the hour for local moves, and often there is a three hour minimum.
- Do you charge extra for larger items such as piano moving, large screen televisions, or any extra flights of stairs during the move? This is not unusual and will vary by company.
- What payment options do you offer? Reputable companies will accept all forms of payment. Be cautious of companies that only accept cash.
- Is a deposit required? Most reputable companies require a deposit to hold your move. Most deposits are refundable within a certain number of days prior to your move if you cancel.
- Do you offer free moving quotes? Never pay for an estimate! For homes larger than three bedrooms, try to get an on-site estimate completed by the moving company. Be thorough in identifying all the items you need moved. Don’t forget the basement, attic, or shed.
Cancellation Policy & Contact Information:
- What kind of cancellation policy do you offer? You should always be able to cancel or postpone until a few days before your move.
- What is the contact number for the day of the move should any challenges arise? A reputable mover will provide a contact number in which you can reach a team member at any time.
As you’re getting ready to select a mover, remember to keep these questions in mind. These important questions will ease your stress, as you’re getting ready for moving day.
At TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®, we have a 96 percent customer referral rate across our system, proving we truly are the “Movers Who Care®”