As an employee, any type of office move can be tough. Things get pretty hectic around the office on moving day, with all the packing and relocating – and you still need to get your work done for the day! Whether you’re simply moving your desk to a new floor, or moving to an entirely new building, we’ve put together 6 useful tips you can use to make the moving process a little bit easier.
- Clean around your workspace. Take some time a day or two before the move to do a thorough clean of your work area, starting with sorting through all your old papers, memos and receipts. File the important ones and shred the ones that are just taking up space. One good idea is to scan all important documents to your computer and recycle the papers.
- Be consistent with your labeling – you don’t want half your files and folders to end up at someone’s else’s desk. It will take you half the day to track down the rest of your files and folders!
- Leave the filing cabinet as-is. Consider leaving all your papers and folders in the filing cabinet. Most moving companies will shrink wrap anything with drawers, so you can save some time, and some space, by leaving the contents of your cabinets alone.
- Take home personal items. If you’re worried about personal items getting misplaced, such as photo frames, posters or plants, arrange to take them home the day before the move.
- If possible, telecommute. If your boss will allow it, consider working from home the day of the move. You’ll be able to get more work done without the distraction of movers coming in and out, and the movers won’t have to worry about constantly interrupting you in the middle of a thought.