You and the kids can have a lot of fun decorating your home for Halloween. The downside is putting all those decorations back into storage. Sometimes it’s tempting to throw everything into a box and worry about it next year. Unfortunately, that just means you’ll be dealing with a tangled mess of costumes, lights, ornaments and more come next Halloween.
Instead of leaving it all to sort through next year, you can use these tips to pack everything properly. That way, you’ll have a much easier time going through the boxes. Proper packing also means less chance of fragile items getting broken or damaged.
We’ve put together 8 tips for a proper Halloween pack-up.
Properly Storing Halloween Props
1) The first and most important thing is to label every box. Make your description detailed so you can find everything easily without tearing through every box.
2) Make sure to store your boxes in a cool, dry environment. If you are storing your items in a basement, make sure they are away from areas with heat and moisture.
3) Pack a box of essentials, like extension cords, and label it “Open First.”
4) Be sure to wrap fragile items using packing paper or bubble wrap. We recommend avoiding newspaper – the ink can rub off and stain.
5) You can also use adjustable inserts and dividers to make individual cells for packing small items that might otherwise break.
6) Make sure your coloured lights are stored in a dark place. This is to prevent fading, especially your blacks and oranges.
7) Use a plastic bag to store fake cobwebbing so it doesn’t stick to everything.
8) Pack your Halloween costumes in a wardrobe box. They are specially designed to store clothes on a hanger just like a closet. This will prevent your costumes from getting tangled and wrinkled for next year.
Use these tips and you’ll have a stress-free, fun and spooky Halloween.