It’s important to pack your belongings properly for a smooth move-in because it will help you significantly while unpacking! We have put together 9 tips to help you:
- Try to pack all electronic equipment, like TVs and stereos, in their original boxes. Otherwise use bubble wrap to protect these items.
- Place any items you wish to take with you off to the side and inform all crew members to not pack them. These items could include things such as cable boxes, medication, or any other personal items you may want to be readily accessible once you are in your new home.
- Pack important and sentimental documents separately to be easily accessible—children’s health records, passports, family records, insurance information, and photo albums.
- Make sure you label your boxes for where you want them to go and not where they came from. For example, if something came from your basement, but you want it to go in the playroom, make sure you label “playroom” on the box so it ends up in the correct space from the get-go.
- Don’t pack with used boxes or boxes from the supermarket. You never know what little critter is hiding or if the box will be strong enough to support your possessions.
- Most animal kennels break down. They’re much easier to transport if they’ve been taken apart.
- Always pack and unpack breakables over a padded surface.
- Never tip stand mixers on their side when packing into boxes. The lubricating oil inside the mixer will pour out of it.
- Use only small boxes for books. They get very heavy, very fast.