We often say that moving can be a stressful experience. Now imagine moving your whole office, and along with that, moving to a location that is far away from where you’re currently are. Yeah, doesn’t sound like a lot of fun, does it? Many small offices go through this every five to ten years for a multitude of reasons, but often experience difficulties with the move as there are many areas to look after. Luckily, we’ve put together a business moving checklist that takes you step by step, week by week leading up to the day before the move. If you follow these tips, you’ll be in great shape for business as usual!
1 month before the move
• Reserve a moving company for your move as soon as you know your business is moving.
• Host a community sale or donate the unneeded items to charity.
• Get change of address cards from your local post office.
• Notify your building owner, clients, magazines, charge accounts and all other organizations of your change of address.
• This may be a great opportunity to update software or technology.
1-2 weeks before the move
• Label moving boxes according to person and/or item. Once the boxes are moved, this will be helpful when reorganizing.
• Cancel newspapers, security, cleaning help, lawn and/or indoor maintenance and any other services you receive.
• Devise a floor plan of the cubicles in your office and the new floor layout.
The week of the move
• Encourage employees to clean out their spaces.
• Unplug copiers, computers, printers and any other electronic items.
The day before the move
• Conduct a pre-move conference with managers.
• Let all employees know their roles and responsibilities for the move.
• Limit employee participation on move day.