When you move as many homes as we do, you learn a few things about how to make moving day easier and less stressful. There’s two things that stand out above the rest when it comes to making a home move easier: preparation and planning.
Preparation and planning will lead to organization in every aspect of your home move running a little bit smoother.
One of our best recommendations to limiting some of the stresses involved with home moving is developing a moving checklist! A moving checklist will give you a point of reference to follow along with as you navigate through the hurdles that come with moving.
From figuring out what belongings are going with you to your next home to packing, hiring movers, and other tasks around the house – a moving checklist is something you can follow to help you get the job done.
We’ve come up with a moving checklist so you can get a head start on preparing for your upcoming move!
One Month Before Move
- Contact, schedule, and hire a mover as soon as you know you’re moving to ensure you’re scheduled for the day and time you prefer.
- Begin the cleaning of various areas of your house – closets, attics, garage, etc.
- Begin changing your local address where necessary in areas like mailing, insurance, school records, and so on.
- Purchase moving boxes and packing supplies to help get things rolling on your move – local TWO MEN AND A TRUCK franchise locations offer a wide-variety of moving and packing supplies to fit all of your moving needs.
1-2 Weeks Before Move
- Start canceling anything that is tied to what will soon be your past home address – Internet, cable, newspapers, or any labor services you receive around your home.
- Call your local utility companies and be sure they know the exact day to stop charging your old home address for services.
- Start the packing process and go room by room so you don’t overwhelm yourself. Be sure to properly label and organize boxes so you know where everything is on moving day.
Week Of The Move
- Finish any last-minute cleaning around your home and make sure everything looks nice for when you officially move out.
- Continue packing all of your belongings, aiming to finish before moving day arrives. For items you no longer need, donate them to a charitable cause or sell them, if possible.
- Make transportation plans for the day of the move so you know how you’re getting to your new place. If you have kids or pets, develop a plan that fits their needs, too, and figure out where they will be while your move is taking place.
- Mail in any change of address forms so your new place is ready to go with your information.
Day Before The Move
- Be in contact with your moving company and double-check everything is set in stone for the ensuing moving day. If you’re moving with TWO MEN AND A TRUCK, we will send a pre-move email solidifying all important details of your home move.
- Ensure all breakable items have been removed from dresser drawers and packed away.
- Take out some cash to hold you over during the moving process. This might come in handy if you need to get pizza or snacks to feed everyone!
- Perform one final cleaning of your home and appliances.
- Pack an essentials bag for items you can access immediately when arriving at your new home. This can include anything from chargers to toothbrushes, quick snacks, etc.
- Make sure there is a clear moving path inside and outside of your home for movers to operate.
- Be sure you are at the home when your moving team arrives so you are accessible should they have any questions and concerns.
- Once the movers have loaded everything onto the moving truck, do one final walkthrough of the home and make sure nothing was left behind. Last but not least – go say goodbye to your neighbors!