Moving can be both exciting and stressful. You have a lot of emotional attachments to your personal possessions and you want to make sure they all arrive safe and sound at your new home.
Here are just a few tips and tricks to make your home move go off without a hitch.
1) Avoid loading more than 50 pounds into one box. If the box is too heavy, you or the movers you hire will have a difficult time getting it from your house and onto the truck. Also, you risk the box breaking apart at the bottom and the contents spilling out. Remember: the heavier the item, the smaller the box.
2) Label each box and indicate which room it should go in. Be sure to also mark whether the box is full of fragile items. It’s a good idea to write down whether the box should be loaded last, so you can have access to it right away at your new home.
3) Cushion contents with packing materials such as bubble wrap, newspaper or tissue. Save room by using towels and blankets to wrap fragile items.
4) Packs books tightly on end in small boxes. If they are musty smelling, sprinkle talcum powder between the pages and wrap the book before packing. Leave them stored for a couple of months to eliminate the smell.
5) Have rugs and draperies cleaned before moving. You can leave them in their plastic wrappings for the move.
6) Pack medicine or other liquid toiletries in a plastic resealable zipper storage bag or leak proof container.
7) Check the weather forecast for your move day. If it’s going to be hot, be sure to have a cooler with lots of bottled water and sports drinks on ice. Staying hydrated is important for your health on moving day.
8) Call your moving company the day before your move to get a contact number for the crew in case you need to contact them en route. Give your mover your cell phone number and be sure to fully charge your cell phone the night before your moving day.
Following these few tips will help you pull off a stress-free home move.