The sun is shining, the temperatures are rising, and that means one thing – it’s moving season. May is the official launch of “National Move Month” for TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®. The month kicks off with what is generally our busiest time of the year, starting in May and lasting until September.
It’s a popular time of the year because many of us begin thinking about selling our home, moving their families to new neighbourhoods while the kids are out of school and the weather is typically better than moving in the middle of a snowstorm blizzard.
Planning For Your Move
Use our tips to help make sure your move is stress-free.
A Month Before the Move
- Reserve a moving company for your move as soon as you know you are moving. TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® can also pack up your house for you.
- Visit your local TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® to purchase moving boxes and necessary packing supplies.
- Start to clean out closets, the garage and attic.
- Host a garage sale or donate your unwanted things to charity.
- Arrange to transfer school records.
- Get a change of address cards from your local post office.
- Notify magazines, charge accounts, insurance companies, clubs and all other organizations of your change of address. If possible, get owner’s manuals for appliances in your new home.
One to Two Weeks Before the Move
- Make a “survival closet” of things you will need for the final clean-up and include a snack for the last day.
- If you decide to pack yourself, label all the moving boxes as you pack. Write the destination room on the top and sides of each moving box to ensure it gets to the right place in your new home.
- Schedule disconnects for gas, electric, water and the telephone. Don’t disconnect the phone until after your move. Arrange for refunds that are due, and schedule connections for your new home.
- Cancel newspapers, cable TV, security, pest control, cleaning help, lawn maintenance and any other services you receive.
The Week of the Move
- Mail in your change of address forms.
- Clean the stove.
The Day Before the Move
- Clean the refrigerator, then defrost and dry.
- Get enough cash to tide you over.
- Say goodbye to your neighbours!
Choosing a Mover
As you prepare to choose a company for your upcoming move, it’s important to research the services offered by each company and decide which services best fit your needs. It’s also important to understand the moving and storage regulations of your province, and how they apply to local movers.
According to the experts here at TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®, it’s important to consider these questions when deciding on a moving company:
- Are they licensed?
- How are your belongings protected?
- Do they employ day labour?
- Are they professionally trained?
- Do they offer free quotes?
- What is the minimum charge/how do they charge?
- Is there a deposit required?
- What is their cancellation policy?
Call TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®
If you’re looking for movers that can help make your moving day stress free, give us a call or use our fast and easy online estimate form.