Moving is a stressful and overwhelming experience, and moving with kids comes with its own challenges; this is why we have put together 5 key items to consider while moving with kids here:
1) Harness the good in change, and frame the move as a grand adventure. Plan a fun event after the move is complete. Make a favourite meal or buy a new piece of furniture you know they’ll love, like a bean bag, canopy netting for the bed, an inexpensive tent for the new room, or a wall decal of their favourite cartoon character.
2) Remove the unknown by planning ahead. Keep the move a daily topic, especially as the day nears. You’ll pick up on anxiety triggers allowing you to head off potential issues.
3) Pack special toys in a carry-on that never leaves the child’s side. Keeping their favourite things close is a sure-fire way to curry comfort and reduce anxiety.
4) Make introductions to the drivers on move day. Our movers care about pets and kids, and there are countless stories of our teams going above and beyond for our clients’ loved ones. While moving can be stress-filled, professional movers know they are hired to minimize this to any degree they’re able.
5) Take advantage of opportunities to be inclusive with your children. Many kids just want to have a place in the process. There are opportunities abound that give them a role while keeping them out of the fray. Ensure their special tasks are safe but rewarding.