With all the moving and packing we do here at TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®, we’ve learned a few tips to help make the whole process go a lot easier. There are many things to think about before moving day even arrives. Here are some things to take care of one month or more before your home move:
- Call around to various moving companies to see if they are free on your move date.
- Decide whether you’ll be packing yourself or hiring packers.
- Schedule a move consultation and in-home estimate to decide which mover to go with.
- Reserve your move date.
- Start gathering moving boxes and packing supplies, or order them from your moving company.
- Start to clean out closets, the garage, attic and locker.
- Host a garage sale or donate your unwanted things to charity.
- Arrange to transfer school records.
- Get change of address cards from your local Post office.
- Notify newspapers, magazines, charge accounts, insurance companies and clubs of your new of address.
If you get started early enough, you won’t be panicking on moving day. Everything will already be well taken care of. Planning ahead of time turns moving day from stressful to stress-free.