Moving homes or offices can feel like an overwhelming task, and packing up all of your belongings is the first major challenge. With a few deep breaths and these packing tips, you can conquer your move without losing your mind.
You want to reserve your moving company at least a month prior to your move (eight weeks during the busy summer moving season) to guarantee availability on your preferred moving day. Once you have your movers selected, you can start to pack up your belongings in anticipation of their arrival. TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® will even pack for you, simplifying and streamlining the moving process.
Once you have determined your moving date, start packing.
- If you stand back and look at everything you need to pack you’ll be overwhelmed. Just start. If you start early enough, you can break up the packing process into a more gradual and less stressful experience.
- Box up belongings that you don’t use often and store them somewhere out of the way. Attics and basements are usually good places to start because they are not high-traffic areas in the house.
- If you have kitchen supplies or dish ware like fine china or appliances like blenders and mixers, that go unused on a daily basis, carefully pack them away a few weeks before your move.
- Make sure to use packing paper or bubble wrap to protect fragile belongings as newsprint from newspapers can be messy to clean and stain your belongings.
- Be sure to label what you’ve packed into each box to make it easier to place in the right place in your new home or office, and so you can find what you need instantly when it comes time to unpack.
- Use new moving boxes. We know it can be tempting to use free boxes from the grocery store, but you never know what creatures may be lurking in used boxes. TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® will even deliver boxes and moving supplies to your door and buy back what you don’t use. How’s that for convenient?
- Avoid packing items from different rooms in the same box to prevent confusion when unpacking.
- Save the items that you use daily for last.
Just Keep Packing.
Packing is also the perfect time to get rid of items you don’t use or need anymore! The big purge can be pretty liberating. Give it a try. Remember though, don’t get rid of your children’s favourite things. As tempting as it may be, moving can be tough on kids and having familiar things in their new home can make the transition easier.
With a little planning and an early start, you can make packing a lot less stressful.