Choosing the right company for your office move is an important decision. This is not the time to be shy! Make sure you fully understand the services each moving company offers and the rate at which the services can be provided.
It’s also wise to check with your Canadian Association of Movers to learn local regulations that apply to movers in your area. Also, ensure that you know your rights and responsibilities when you move.
Questions to ask a commercial moving company
Below is a list of questions our expert movers suggest asking moving companies to make sure they fit your business needs.
- Does your company charge by the piece or by the hour?
- Do you have a minimum charge? How do you charge after the minimum is met – in 15-minute increments or every half hour? Do you have any extra charges for larger items or extra flights of stairs?
- Do you charge for the travel time from your office to my business?
- Do you charge extra for moves in the evenings or on the weekends?
- What payment options do you offer?
Health and Safety
- Is your moving company licensed?
- Do you have full-time employees or do you use temps and day labor? (Be cautious of companies that use temps or day labor because they may not be properly insured.)
- Do you carry worker’s compensation for your employees?
- Are items insured during the move?
- What kind of training have your movers and drivers completed?
- What kind of cancellation policy do you offer? (You should always be able to cancel or postpone until a few days before your move.)
- Do you offer free moving quotes? (We recommend getting an estimate for all business moves.)
- Do you offer suggestions on how to make the move easier? (Movers who care about customer service and making your move a positive experience will do all they can to help you.)
- Do you have a contact number for the day of the move should any challenges arise?
By asking these questions, you’ll be sure to make the right decision when choosing a moving company for your office relocation.