When you start thinking about moving to a new home, you might feel overwhelmed at just how much stuff you’ve accumulated over the years. Some of these items are in perfectly good condition, but there’s just no need to bring them with you to the new house. Don’t just throw them out! Our professional movers have a few useful tips on what you can do with unwanted items.
Get rid of old clothes
- Sell them in a yard sale.
- Bring designer or brand name items to a consignment shop if they are still in good condition.
- Donate to a charity.
Get rid of excess coat hangers
- If they’re in good shape, give them to dry cleaners or charity stores.
Donate old eyeglasses
- You can give them to the Canadian Lions Eyeglass Recycling Centre.
- Drop-off locations include LensCrafters stores and community offices.
Give away old towels, blankets and linens
- The Humane Society will accept most of these.
- Items in decent, usable condition can be donated to shelters for the homeless.
Get rid of old magazines
- Donate them to hospitals, nursing homes, and doctors offices.
- Donate subscriptions to public libraries and schools.
- Or just plain recycle them!
There’s no need to throw out perfectly good items when you can find a new home for them. Remember the three R’s: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!