Holiday preparations such as tree trimming, present wrapping and hanging lights helps get us in the holiday spirit, and are also lots of fun! But thoughtful packing of seasonal decorations and materials at the end of the holidays for the next year can keep the fun in what is for some a stressful time.
In other words, it pays to plan ahead, even twelve months ahead.
Careful packing and organizing prevents damage and breakage, and ensures you can find everything next year. It is worth taking the extra time to organize and preserve your decorations.
- Wrap breakables in paper or bubble wrap. Do not use newspaper – the print may wear off on ornaments and stain. Use tissue or packing paper. Instead of throwing away used paper or junk mail, run it through a paper shredder. It makes a great packing filler.
- Decorations that contain photographs or food should be sealed in an air tight bag to keep them safe. The scent from any food item will attract insects or mice whereever they are stored.
- Boxes with dividers are best to pack ornaments in. There are cardboard boxes made especially for fragile items. They come with adjustable inserts that form individual cells for delicate items. These “dish pack” boxes are very popular at our TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® locations.
- Keep extra hangers, hooks and ornament parts in a labeled bag or box.
- To prevent tangles, wrap lights around empty gift wrapping paper tubes.
- Leave the plug accessible by taping the ends of the light strands to the end of the tube. Next year you can quickly test the lights before unwinding them.
- Store coloured lights in a dark place to prevent fading – especially blues, greens and purples.
Use these few tips and you’ll find that decorating for the holidays next year will be stress-free!