Somehow, someway, October is officially here, and that means Halloween is just around the corner.
Although the world is very different right now – and Halloween will be too – that doesn’t mean you can’t craft a unique costume at home, right? For several years, we’ve brainstormed creative costume ideas that can be make out of recycled moving boxes and materials around the house called “Boxtumes”, and we’ve come up with another that fits in well with the theme of the year: Quarantine Couch Potato!
That’s right. It’s time to make our favorite lazy hobby into a costume that you can show off come items you may need to purchase at a craft store.
Materials you’ll need:
- Box (medium size: 16 x 16 x 17)
- Packing tape
- Scissors/box cutters
- Snack food wrappers/boxes
- Old remote and movie
- Paper towel rolls (2)
- Blanket (fleece throw 50in x 60in)
- Wrapping paper roll
- Brown towel
- Safety pins
- Fabric glue
- Suspenders (kid size)
- Paints (black, brown, cream)
Important tips to remember:
- Since the paper towel and cardboard will not hold up well in the rain, consider wrapping plastic wrap around the items before adding blanket
- The project should be completed over a few days to allow glue to adhere and paint to dry
- Snack wrappers and boxes should be empty to help with weight of costume
How to make it, step-by-step:
- Tape your box to make a couch shape and glue the paper towel and wrapping paper roll to the box
- Use a large mixing bowl to cut a hole in the box
- Glue, tape, and pin the blanket around the box
- Cut fabric at the hole and glue to the bottom of the box
- Glue suspenders to the box, under and inside the back of the couch
- Paint towel using your hands and blotting over the entire surface
- Fold towel in half, pin and cut hole at the fold
- Glue snack wrappers, remote, and video to the couch
- Put the couch on over your child’s head and hang it off their shoulders using the suspenders
- Put the potato over your child’s head and over the suspenders
There you have it – easy as that! If you decide to get together with your loved ones and create this fun Boxtume idea this year, be sure to take a picture and tag us on social media!