For TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®, March means Career Move Month! Our focus throughout the month is to ramp up our hiring efforts in anticipation of the busy spring and summer moving season. For many of our locations, this means hiring enough movers to help make sure that all of their trucks are fully operational and are running at full capacity.
During the interview process, applicants will often ask us about what we’re looking for, and what an ideal mover is for TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®? To answer this, we created a description of some ideal skills and traits that we look for when we’re hiring a mover.
What We Look For In A Mover
- Customer Service: The common myth that applicants have debunked during the interview process is that you don’t have to be a huge person to do this job (although it does help). We aim to find individuals who are customer service focused first, and then train them to become movers. We’re a customer service company that just happens to move.
- Strength and Stamina: Although our primary focus is on customer service when applying to be a mover, you should be aware that you will be moving items all day long. This requires you to be physically strong while also having a lot of stamina. An average day as a mover will require you to walk at least five to ten kilometres; up thirty to forty flights of stairs; while carrying heavy items half of the time.
- Technology: As our business is becoming more and more advanced, we’re looking for individuals that have experience with various forms of technology. Our movers use tablets while on moves, and we’ve found that those that had prior knowledge of the tool, were more likely to be successful when operating it.
- Willingness to work: If you’re interested in becoming a mover you’ll be happy to know that there will always be work to do, especially during the busy season of spring and summer. The more hours you’re able to work, or the more you’re willing to pick up shifts, the greater you’re to rise within TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®.
- Being professional: If you’re a person who takes pride in their appearance, and regularly shows up on time for their shift; you’re a great fit for us.
- Willingness to Grow: One of TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®’s goals is to help move people forward. This sentiment goes for moves but also in growing members of our team. Many movers who have an interest in growing will often be encouraged to take steps to become a driver or to work towards other positions within the organization like move consultants, estimators or managers.
Benefits Of The Job
- There are many opportunities to grow within the company. 75% of the next level of management have been movers or drivers previously.
- Flexible schedule. If you are a student and can only work during the summer, we’re happy to work with you on your schedule so that you can work as much as you want during your summer break. On average, many of our students will work thirty to thirty-five hours a week.
- Students who are looking for a part-time job during the summer, are often welcome back the following year, as long as they remain in good standing of the location and had a good performance review.
If you’re interested in seeing what opportunities are available at TWO MEN AND A TRUCK®, go to our careers page to see what opportunities are available nearest you.