Decorating your house for Halloween can be a lot of fun. But unpacking all the decorations you just threw into a box on November 1st last year takes all the fun out of it. That’s why it’s good to plan ahead. Careful packing and organization prevents damage and breakage, and ensures you can find everything next year. It is worth taking the extra time to organize and preserve your decorations.
Here are some tips to keep in mind while packing away Halloween decorations:
- Use a “Wardrobe Box” to hang and store Halloween costumes. This way you can find them, wear them, and store them away on a hanger easily.
- Store fake cobwebbing inside a plastic bag so it doesn’t stick to everything else inside the box.
- Boxes with dividers and adjustable inserts that form individual cells are best for packing smaller breakable items.
- Store colored lights in a dark place to prevent fading –- especially black and orange.
- Wrap any breakables in paper or bubble wrap. Don’t use newspaper – the ink may wear off and stain. Use tissue or packing paper instead.
- Pack an “open first” box. Place the decorations you use first in here with essentials such as extension cords.
- Take special care if you are storing your items in a damp area like your basement. Don’t store boxes near sources of heat and moisture.
- The most important tip is to label every box. The more detailed the description, the easier it will be to find things.
With these tips, unpacking and setting up a spooky Halloween house will be no stress at all!